Thursday, January 21, 2010

Book Covers

**Sorry this is so late. I was behind on my reading for my class today and I was trying to get it done before class. It didn’t happen, but that’s okay.**

For the past few days I’ve been trying to come up with a cool background image for the cover of my NaNoWriMo Novel. I know… I know… I should be more concerned with something important, like editing it before the deadline or coming up with a real title. But this is what I’ve selected to focus on at the moment, so *shrug*

One thing that I never really considered all that much is the cover of a book. So much must go into the planning of the cover of a book. Not all books I realize, some books are rather straight forward. If there’s a definite theme of some sort that is easily visualized you can find that image and run with it.

But not so much with other books (especially for poor English majors who don’t really know what they’re doing.

I think of the great cover to a book like The Time Traveler’s Wife. That is an awesome cover that fits so well, but isn’t something that is directly in the book.

Another such book would be Dedication. This book, much like The Time Traveler’s Wife is not set solely in one time. This novel bounces between the main character’s childhood and adulthood and there are many images that could potentially convey parts of the story, but none so well as this cover portrays pretty much the whole story.

I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but a cover can tell so much about a story. To have a good cover is important because a picture is worth a thousand words (to go along with another cliché) and as any good writer knows it would be a shame to waste words.






1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete