Friday, January 15, 2010

And Now for the Insightful Chuck Post

And now for the insightful Chuck post.

Yes, yes, I know that it’s not Tuesday, but this is only partially a recommendation that you watch one of the best shows on TV right now. Keep reading…

Something I’ve noticed about this show is that many of the episodes have an interesting story arc.

I first noticed this during the season 2 finale. My friends and I were sitting and watching with bated breath what might be the final episode of Chuck ever and as we watched this feeling of dread overtook us as they wrapped up loose ends. Chuck had the Intersect out of his head. Ellie and Awesome were married. Anna and Morgan were on their way to Hawaii so Morgan could learn to be a hibachi chef. And then, during a commercial break I looked at the clock and realized the episode was only half over! There was a lot left to come time wise… and sure enough, by the end of the episode Chuck was re-Intersected and Bryce was dead *sniff* and nothing was really all that tied up.


This past week or two I have been re-watching Chuck on DVD and I noticed that this was not a story arc that they used just once, but on a semi regular basis. Just when you think that everything is all hunky-dory something happens (usually right around the half way point of the episode) and the episode is not nearly as over as it appeared.

My guess (because I don’t do screen writing or television marketing or anything) is that they do this so you feel as though you’re getting more bang for your buck. If you think that the episode is over, and then it’s not it’s almost like getting two episodes at once, even if it’s just in the same hour slot.

So check out Chuck Mondays at 8 (EST) on NBC. It’s great.

No comments:

Post a Comment