Tuesday, November 17, 2009

No Plot? No Problem!

With November being NaNoWriMo month, I’ve decided that it would be a good opportunity to share some of my favorite books on writing. For this week I’m suggesting a book written specifically for those embarking on the NaNoWriMo adventure. It is entitled No Plot? No Problem! And it’s written by Chris Baty, the founder of National Novel Writing Month.

I almost feel as though it is cheating to suggest this book because I have not yet finished it yet. But the reason I have not finished it, is one I feel I can justify. The book in broken up into two sections. The first is about preparing for your novel-writing journey. It’s chapters include information on why the month is handled the way it is, ideas on how to find the time to write 50,000 words in 30 days, tricks and incentives to actually getting the job done, and of course ideas for how to get ideas for your novel.

This is the half I have read.

The other half of the book is a week-by-week overview of what to expect and ways to overcome the hardships that you find in each month. I have not read most of this half, but I will justify why: The book told me not to.

For maximum effect, read each of the following four chapters at the beginning of their corresponding weeks. Also, no skipping ahead! Peeking at Week Two’s pep talk while you’re still exploring the exciting terrain of Week One will cause strange and disquieting rifts in the temporal fabric of the universe, and may needlessly jeopardize the lives of everyone on this planet. Be a responsible (and fiendishly creative) global citizen and take the chapters one week at a time. (103)

The last chapter of the book is entitled “I Wrote a Novel. Now what?” and I’m going to assume that it’s about what to do with your finished 50,000 word project, but I haven’t read that chapter yet either (because I do what I’m told).

No comments:

Post a Comment